Welcome My Little Monsters!


This blog allows you to follow me as I learn new tricks here and there...you can watch as I dive into EPIC failures that you are bound to laugh at (like the time I set my oven on fire...ya...I'm AWESOME) and I'm putting it aaalllll on here...so you can follow me and decide for yourself whether or not to come to me or to go to them...even if you just visit my blog for fun and laughs...that's cool...I'll enjoy the company!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving With Crossbones....Not Wishbones

So it's Thanksgiving, and I KNEW it was going to be Thanksgiving when I committed to these cakes because I didn't think we were going to have dinner...It's just not our "thing"...but that's mostly because we're a small family and a turkey is A LOT of meat, and A LOT of work, and I HATE cooking....(yet, yes, I LOVE to bake cakes...I don't know, I don't get it either....lol) anyhow...carrying on...
So, the day before yesterday, we decided to do the dinner thing as I have Joey with me this year and we have my cousin & his gf in our basement...suddenly my little family isn't so little...so why not hey? We go to the store, buy the turkey and put it in the fridge to find it rock solid the next day...Time for plan B...leave it on the counter overnight...NOT smart. I find it at room temperature this morning, and uncertain, I open her to to smell...FISH? Well, anyways, it smelled that way to me. Tony said it smelled more like milk that you THINK has gone bad but then taste it only to realize that it was just the outer crusty edge that smelled yucky...As if his "NO it doesn't smell like fish" story  makes the turkey edible in ANY sort of fashion....So...time for plan B..uh...again. I made a few phone calls and found a shop that has fresh turkeys....so I ran over and bought it right away. Our original fish-turkey was $11.00...my new feathered friend was $60...and 3 times the size. It was 20lbs which...for those who are unsure of the size of this...means we could have fed the entire neighborhood and still had leftovers for the week. To feed 5 people, We carved 1/2 a turkey breast...and a drumstick....Now the funny part is...one of the guys had seconds (an ENTIRE plate full of food) and in the end we STILL had to wrap up leftovers from the meat that we carved....so in my cousins fridge sits an ENTIRE bird, less half a boob and only one leg...oh bugger. It sits in his fridge because it was just too much meat to fit in mine. It's overflowing in the biggest pot I own...We're a little overwhelmed by the monstrosity that is the feast we had this evening....But might I say...WAS IT EVER DELICIOUS!!!!! SOOO good! Oh turkey...how I love thee!

Anyhow...blah blah...turkey this and turkey that...I know, I know...GET ON WITH THE CAKE!!

Soooo....new tiaras with dragees purchased in town....and a whole new bag of tricks coming in the mail!! I also had the privilege of making a very good friends birthday cake, which was epic awesomeness. Pink and orange and black and plastered with SKULLS AND CROSSBONES! The reason this is so cool is because this girl and her husband have matching wedding bands that have skulls and crossbones on them...WICKED...and for HIS birthday, she asked if I could make him a skull and crossbones cake. At the time I had no gear and had to use a pizza cutter & paring knife to get the job done...but it was cool and the neat thing is seeing how much I have evolved since then. We all learn new tricks on our adventures and we all shift gears now & then...and it's always neat to sit back & reflect where we were...where we are..and where we are headed....it puts a big 'ol smile on my face....

Another gf of mine called for a cake to go with her TG dinner. So I made her a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream and it was stuffed with caramel...oh dear...it was like eating heaven on a FORK. I'm actually drooling as I write this....ha!

I also made cupcakes for another fabulous lady whom, I have recently discovered could possibly be my clone...We have experienced the same tragedies, triumphs, celebrations, and when I met her face to face, I also discovered that we have damn near the same eye glasses...spooky!!! hahahaha!! Anyway, she's a jewel that I feel honored to have met and she has given me yet, another fabulous reason as to why I am doing this...I also get to meet some wicked people! She asked me to make her some yummy cupcakes with a variety of frostings for her roommate from Cape Breton. He's not a young boy....not an old man...but a spry young gentleman in the prime of his life, so what flavors do we serve this man to celebrate such a birthday? Well...being an adult myself, I know that I can't live without: coffee, my vanilla and something special to make an otherwise ordinary moment extra special....So I had his flavors be coffee, vanilla and irish cream...the perfect combination...unless, there's something in there that someone may not like of course....(enter giggle with snort here.)

On a side note: This same woman asked me to make her FOUR DOZEN cupcakes last week, letting me go nuts with my flavors...so I made caramel filled vanilla and chocolate cupcakes, nutella filled vanilla and chocolate cupcakes...cupcakes with strawberry buttercream, raspberry buttercream, cotton candy buttercream, chocolate buttercream, vanilla-caramel swirl buttercream, and vanilla-nutella swirl buttercream. It was insane...and I must apologize as I totally BLANKED on the photo op for it...my bad...I am, as the French call it, a dummé (that's French for dummy...no no..actually it's not...but it's funny as hell ain't it? hahahaha!!))

Alright then. so photos of the goodness of it all...I have many cakes for this month and will post them as the month goes by...ahhhh the good times....and only 2 turkeys were harmed in the production this post. hahaha!!!!


My two latest tiaras..they are still waiting some shimmer to make look even MORE royal like.

The cupcakes with the green are the irish cream, the ones in the middle are coffee (garnished with ground espresso and a coffee bean...mmmm....) and the back ones are the vanilla...all VERY yummy!

An up close and personal shot of the buttercream...it's just so yummy with it's whipped & fluffy texture.  

The vanilla cake made for my gf....sooo good!!!

Top layer - Vanilla cake with  chocolate mint buttercream

The bottom layer is my chocolate mud cake also with the chocolate mint buttercream.



This is her hubby's cake made earlier this year....great gifts for husband and wife hey? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment